Saturday, June 20, 2009
Six Things You Didn't Know About Green Apple Books
I was trying to put together one of those famous Facebook lists of 25 things you didn't know about etc., but I could only think of 6. Leaves room for a sequel. So here are six things you (most likely) didn't know about Green Apple:
1) The notorious Jim Jones was once kicked out of the store for acting like a bigshot.
2) The building where our main store is located used to have a third floor, but it was removed after the 1906 earthquake.
3) Used book buyers have found guns, money, naked photos, live scorpions, and plenty of other oddities in boxes of books that customers have brought in for sale.
4) Margaret Cho worked here, once upon a time.
5) A scene from the Julia Roberts movie Dying Young was shot in front of the store, with Julia walking in and out of the Chinese apothacary shop next door. Margaret Cho tried relentlessly to get into the background of the shot, but I don't know if she can be seen in the final cut.
6) Occasionally we tidy up the store a bit, and have even been known to use a broom and/or a vacuum cleaner.